Rolling, squishing, flattening, and creating…most kids love playing with play dough. It is fun, but helpful for their development also!
When a child plays with play dough they are learning through play by building fine motor skills that lead to writing, drawing and success in school. They experiment, think critically, compare, contrast, build vocabulary, analyze and even problem solve.
Playing with this dough also helps their social and emotional development. It is a safe way to get out extra energy when they are pounding, flattening, rolling, squishing and pinching the dough. Many kids also can express their feelings when having a fidget of dough in their hands or expressing emotions through their creations.
Learning through play is research based and close to my heart after my experience teaching elementary school for 16 years. When you add essential oils to the dough, you are increasing the supportive properties of the dough through the play. When you put an essential oil on topically, it enters all of your cells within 20 minutes. When you smell an essential oil, it passes the blood brain barrier to support your body through aromatherapy. Research the supportive properties of essential oils and the power of play yourself so you can make an informed decision. It is amazing what chemistry and statistics are out there.
Now, where to begin? There are so many essential oil choices! Different essential oils support different body systems, so before you add them, think about what you would like to support. Also, I only recommend Young Living as not all oil quality is the same, honestly.
Our Easy Recipe:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar (in the spice aisle)
- 1 cup water
- 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons of carrier oil (Organic Pure Fractionated Coconut Oil and olive oil I have used successfully)
- 6-8 drops of Young Living Essential Oils
- Optional: All Natural Food Coloring, Vegan-Friendly Dye
- In a medium pot, mix the dry ingredients (flour, salt and cream of tartar) until combined well.
- Now add the water, carrier oil and (the optional) coloring.
- Turn on the stove to a medium-low heat.
- Mix on a low – medium heat until it forms a ball and looks like a dough.
- Take off the heat. Remove the dough from the pot. Let sit for a few minutes to cool down enough to knead.
- Knead in the essential oils.
- Store in a glass or stainless steel, air tight container. We use mason jars. I know you understand my love for them now.
By the way, you can use the recipe above or your own favorite recipe and add the essential oils during the kneading. You may have a play dough recipe you love already!
Essential Oil Supportive Combination Ideas:
- Brain and Focus Support
- 3-4 drops Cedarwood and 3-4 drops Brain Power
- 3-4 drops Vetiver and 2 drops Cedarwood and 2 drops Valor
- 6-8 drops of Brain Power
- 3-4 drops of Clarity and 2-3 Peppermint
- 6-8 drops of GeneYus
- Happy Mood Support
- 6-8 drops Orange
- 6-8 drops of Joy
- 6-8 drops of Harmony
- 6-8 drops of Stress Away
- 6-8 drops of Bergamont
- 6-8 drops of Tangerine
- 6-8 drops of White Angelica
- 6-8 drops of Fun
- 6-8 drops of Valor
- 3-4 drops of Lemon and 3-4 Orange
- 3-4 drops of Inner Child
- 6-8 drops of Lemon Myrtle
- Calming and Soothing
- 6-8 drops of Lavender
- 6-8 drops of Peace and Calming
- 6-8 drops of Vetiver
- 2 drops of Roman Chamomile and 4-6 of Lavender
- 3-4 drops of Cedarwood and 3-4 drops of Lavender
- 6-8 drops Sleepyize
- 6-8 drops of Gentle Baby
Any of the citrus oils have an uplifting and energizing aromatic also. You could use lime, citrus fresh, lemon, grapefruit, peppermint, orange, etc…
When my kids bring these to school as a fidget, I use a 4oz mason jar with a lid for them to store it in. I do not use plastic. See the featured black and white image.