What I hear from most people is how overwhelming it is to walk around the store with multiple lists of ingredients to avoid. Or it’s difficult to scan each item in an app to see if it has harmful ingredients. And, quite frankly, in today’s busy world, most people want to click on the products they want and have it shipped.
I have done it all and honestly, if I can avoid shopping IN a store, I will. I prefer to have “the majority” of our foods delivered as I tend to save time and money. I do venture to Costco once, sometimes twice a month. And yes, I do go to our local grocery store when I have too, but I hate the grocery store. I know hate is a strong word, but… I kind of mean it.
This list a WORK IN PROGRESS as quite frankly, this is quite a task. So, you may want to check back in from time to time for updates.
Next, if you can’t grow and store your own food, supporting small organic farms and local is ALWAYS best no matter what I listed below! I haven’t had to buy eggs since 2015 thanks to our girls and am hoping to preserve more of our homegrown food in the years to come.
I didn’t bother to list fruits and vegetables as those are easy to pick out. Shopping local and organic is the best option. I tried to stick to packaged foods.
Also, if you have a packaged product you would like me to find a better alternative for, just ask.
Finally, I only wrote what we prefer and use. We avoid so many more ingredients than most. For example we avoid numbered dyes, folic acid, nitrates, enriched flour, corn syrup, soy, cyanocobalamin, and much more. We don’t 100% avoid sugar, but we do consume way less that most.
Our Favorite “real-ish” foods
- Ketchup – Primal Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Ketchup
- BBQ Sauce – Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce
- Hot Sauce – Cholula, yep. NOT organic. Haven’t found one similar and the ingredients are simple.
- Mustard – Primal Kitchen Spicy Brown Mustard
- Salad Dressings
- Primal Kitchen Ranch
- Primal Kitchen Thousand Island
- Primal Kitchen Caeser
- Primal Kitchen Green Goddess
- Primal Kitchen Greek (my favorite one!)
- Coconut Oil – Gold Label Tropical Traditions
- Olive Oil – Kirkland Organic
- Soy Sauce – Bragg’s Liquid Aminos OR Bragg’s Coconut Aminos
- Syrup – Kirkland Organic 100% Maple Grade A (Costco) or locally sourced
Breads, Flour, Baking:
- Bread (Prepackaged) – Ezekiel Brand
- English Muffins – Ezekiel Brand (We love the cinnamon raisin!)
- Flour – Jovial Organic Einkorn (We use many different brands, most need to be shipped.)
- Coconut Flour – Bob Mill’s Organic Brand or Nutiva Organic
- Almond Flour – Bob Mill’s Superfine Brand
- Corn Starch – Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot, we avoid corn starch and use arrowroot.
- Baking Powder – Bob’s Red Mill – No Aluminum Added
- Salt – Redmond’s Real Salt or Celtic Sea Salt
- Tortilla Fresca Organic Uncooked Flour Tortillas (Costco) – SO GOOD
- Ezekiel Wraps (Not the best for tacos in our opinion, more for Sandwiches.)
Sugar & Sweeteners:
- Maple Sugar – Coombs Organic
- Honey – Stavich, Local – from a keeper you trust, or Manuka (click for the differences)
- Cane Sugar – We use sparingly, Kirkland Organic
Butter, Cheese & Milk:
- Butter – Kerrygold (Costco) or Super Kalona or from a local farmer you trust
- Sour Cream – Super Kalona (our favorite tasting)
- Kefir/Yogurt (Grass-Fed) – Super Kalona Vanilla or Strawberry
- Milk – Raw from a local farmer you trust, I can’t recommend any ultrapasterized products. If you can’t find a local farmer and simply need milk for a recipe, Super Kalona is our choice.
- Heavy Cream – Super Kalona
- Raw Grass Fed Cheese – a local farmer or sometimes you can snag it at Whole Foods or Kroger
- Kerrygold Grass Fed Cheese (Costco sometimes has this!)
- Alternative Milks
- This is EXTRA hard for us as we have to avoid cyanocobalamin (synthetic b12) so we make almond milk, coconut milk and other milks more of a treat and not a daily drink. Plus, have you heard about the bees and almond trees? It is making it difficult for me to choose. We do use a local milk and occasionally get an Oat Milk without cyanocobalamin when we need to use some.
- Water – Reverse Osmosis or Berkey
- Kombucha – Our Own Brews/Recipes
- Juice Boxes – Kirkland Brand if we must.
- Antioxidant/Liver Support/Immune Support Drink – NingXia Red in The Red Drink
- Juices – Store Bought
- Lakewood Organic Cranberry
- Costco Organic Lemonade (high in sugar, but we do 1/4 cup to 1 cup of water)
- Evolution Organic Cold Pressed Orange Juice – (one of the only orange juices I can find easily without added folic acid, but we do not get it often.)
- Black Forest or Wholesome Organic (Gummy Worms or Bears)
- Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Yum Earth Suckers & Hard Candies
- Wholesome Organic or Black Forest Fruit Chews (like Starburst)
- Surf Sweets Organic Sour Gummy Worms
- Green & Blacks Dark Chocolate
- Innofoods Dark Chocolate Clusters (Chocolate Seed Clusters 0r Almond Seed Clusters)
- Annie’s Fruit Snack Gummies
- Pure Organic Fruit Bars
- Kirkland Applesauce Packages
- Organic Aussie Bites
- Kirkland Organic Tortilla Chips
- Clif Kid Organic Bars
- Cascadian Farms Chocolate Chip Chewy Bars
- Primal Kitchen Bars